Home > News > NK Human Rights Issues

Date : March 14, 2020
Musan Mine operating at less than half of full capacity
   https://www.dailynk.com/english/musan-mine-operating-less-than-half-fu [763]
Sources: Musan Mine operating at less than half of full capacity

The continued closure of the Sino-North Korean border has led to a near shutdown of Musan Mine, North Koreas largest iron mine, Daily NK has learned. 

The Musan Mine is operated at less than 50% of capacity, a North Hamgyong Province-based source told Daily NK on Wednesday. Only two of the five mining areas in the complex are operating at full capacity. The shutdown of the border with China has led to slowdowns in drilling and ore dressing [mechanically separating grains of ore minerals from gangue minerals – mineral processing]. 

North Korea closed its border to China at the end of January to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The move reportedly ended all smuggling operations along the border and also impacted operations at the Musan Mine, which is located in North Hamgyong Province. 

North Korea has been banned from exporting minerals since the United Nations Security Council adopted Resolution 2397 in 2017. The regime, however, has continued to earn large amounts of foreign currency from the sale of iron ore produced in Musan Mine. Daily NK reported in late 2018 [in Korean] that iron ore from Musan Mine was being smuggled to Chinas Sanhe region after passing through Hoeryeong.  ......

[Source: Daily NK]

Prev  Next