Home > News > NK Human Rights Issues

Date : January 16, 2021
Gomdok Mine in the 90-day battle
   https://www.dailynk.com/english/gomdok-mine-midst-90-day-battle/ [896]
Gomdok Mine is in the midst of a 90-day battle

Gomdok Mine, which experienced significant damage from typhoons last year, recently began a 90-day battle to boost production, Daily NK has learned.

A source in South Hamgyong Province told Daily NK yesterday that the Gomdok Mine has restarted operations despite the fact that not all of the typhoon damage to the facility has been repaired.

[The authorities] announced that the 90-day battle would last until Apr. 2 following a day of rest for New Years Day on Jan. 1, and the battle officially began on Jan. 2, he explained.

North Korean authorities noted in the order that due to the countrys poor economic situation the mine must quickly restart operations despite all of the damage not having been repaired yet. Based on the order, this year the mine must complete all of the planned production that was delayed last year because of typhoon damage.

The announcement of the 90-day battle was accompanied by a warning to prevent accidents at the mine. The authorities said that many accidents have occurred because miners frequently failed to be careful, a catchall phrase that included drowsiness in the mine shafts. North Korean authorities specifically singled out mine car drivers, conductors and worker safety officers as those who need to ensure they properly conduct their jobs. ......

[Source: Daily NK]

Prev  Next